Pages

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cool Sugar Cookies

NEVER MIND THE MELONS IN THE BACKGROUND, PEOPLE

This is probably my favorite recipe ever. Taken from The Greatest Cookies Ever by Rose Dunnington, I found this the most interesting recipe in the book. I guess it's because the colors caught my eye with a fishing hook and my eyes are stuck in that book for eternity.

Seriously. I really, really love this book. The best I ever found with the best advice.


The cookies I'm talking about are the ones at the top left of the picture. Yep, they're the ones, and I've made them countless times.

*counts off fingers*

I made those checkerboard ones once, they were turquoise and black - oh, and I also made a guest post for Grandma's blog on the flower ones, plus I did those pink, purple, and yellow striped ones, and those pink and blue ones. Ah, here's a blogpost by my muddah.

I was going to make a post on these on my old blog, The Light's the Limit, but never got it done, as there were a great lot of pictures to be uploaded. But, as of now, it shall be done! LET THE RECIPE COMMENCE!!! *summons caramel-shooter*

The ingredients are...
1 stick of unsalted butter, 1 egg, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, 1 1/2 c flour, and two different colors of food coloring. Ah, the fun part.

♦ Addition: You need egg wash to make your cookies shiny. To make this, crack an egg over a bowl and beat it with some water.

These are sugar cookies. They will be very sweet. I like 'em that way - but no one else in the fam likes 'em.

*smacks self* Unhealthy me.

I did have a video of these cookies being made, but they're on the hard drive which is connected to the other computer which muddah is using and it's got a great many cables to be unplugged and all that junk.

Anyways. To the point.

***WARNING: These cookies require chilling for two hours in the refrigerator. Make sure you have enough time for everything.

It's all settled. The ingredients are above. Get them out and follow these directions.


  1. Cream butter and sugar in a mixing bowl with an electric mixer. Crack in egg and blend well. Add flour and salt.


  2. Separate the dough in half. Color each dough ball individually. Wrap and chill the dough for 15 minutes.





  3. After 15 minutes, roll the dough and shape them into rectangles. Wrap and chill them for 20 minutes.
  4. Make egg wash. ♦
  5. Remove and unwrap frozen dough. Brush egg wash on one rectangle and place other rectangle above. Brush egg wash on top. Roll into a log. Be sure you have a spiral pattern.
  6. Freeze log for 2 hours.
  7. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a cookie sheet. Unwrap log and cut it into slices about 1 cm thick. Place on the cookie sheet and brush with egg wash. Place in oven. Bake for about 10 minutes.
All you do after is wait for 'em to cool, stare at the lovely colors, and hand 'em out to your family. I hope they like the cookies. If they don't, hrmph. Spiteful curmudgeons.

-Nu

PS: I will have this post updated soon with pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead and criticize my works.